Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Should-Do List

While listening to "Good to Great", the subject of To-Do lists came up. Then the idea of a Stop-Doing list was proposed, a list of the things a company would Not do because it was not moving toward its core objective and core values.

I realized that I was having a similar challenge with my To-Do list.

As I am working, I suddenly remember something that is on my To-Do list, or it's something I want to add to my list, and I then think about it, ruminate over it, obsess about it, and get totally distracted from the task at hand. And so begins the chase.

But the rest of my To-Do list is not a Should-Do list. As a matter of fact, as long as my current task is serving my core values, objectives, and purpose, I know I can let go of the Should-Do list and feel good about where I am.

And that is the key to peace of mind and focus. Am I working on something that is progress to my purpose and core values? If not, it will create stress. If it is, I can rest in the knowledge that I am right where I need to be. A simple formula. Let's see how it works.

Yes, this blog is part of my purpose and core values. I feel good.

No comments: