Thursday, January 28, 2010

I'm on a Mission!

I’m on a mission!

I’m sure you say that all the time. At least, when you’re not figuring out how that next project/budget is going to get done.

I realized a long time ago that my mission is to do my part to make small group ministry a regular part of Unity churches. I know how much of a difference it made when I joined my first book Homestudy at New Thought Unity of Cincinnati. When those seven weeks were completed, I felt that I belonged. Since that day I have always conducted small groups and created book study programs. For more about these, click Here.

My mission has turned into my ministry:
Make it easy and accessible for every church to provide small group book studies.

I just finished reading Tribes by Seth Godin (I highly recommend), and he speaks of making the tribe more connected, tighter, stronger, before making it bigger. Actually, I think “passionate” is how “big” comes about. And people become passionate when they speak their own wisdom. Another author emphasizes, “Verbalization crystalizes ideas.” As enlightening as a talk or lesson can be, congregants don’t get the opportunity on Sundays to discover their own wisdom by speaking.

Tip of the day:
Make it Special.
In my last newsletter tip (Click here) I had talked about the events leading up to the beginning of the small group book study. Each step in the process creates more awareness and excitement about the program, making the “tribe” invested. They don’t want to be left out if the flow of information is relatively constant.

This is never more apparent than during registration for the three weeks prior to the start of the program.

For our first week of registration we had a special announcement from the platform that was a an invitation, an explaination, and a story with which they could connect. The reaction was fantastic: more than half of the openings were filled by the end of that Sunday.

This kind of focus is the best way to ensure that people are empowered and interested in the program. Continuing and building this intense focus will create the momentum for your successful small group book study.

The best way to have successful small group book studies at your church is to let the congregation know that, for these seven weeks, THIS is what the church is about.

A leader not only has a vision; a leader communicates that vision.

Feel free to reply to this email, check out my blog, my web site, or just give me a call. Let me know how I can serve you.

Peace & JOY
Larry Watson

No comments: