Sunday, May 31, 2009

Back in the Saddle

He's BAAA-aack!
Finally! I am back to blogging on my Pottery web site again, though I have had to make a change to this blog site to do so, due to some technical changes. It always seems like updating things should make it easier, but instead it seems to provide new obstacles. Oh well, maybe it's the universe telling me this is the better way.

I attended the Summerfair Art fair at Old Coney in Cincinnati today. It was so different to see the the fair from my perspective since I haven't exhibited at a fair since 2007. I could feel the desparation that the artists were feeling, hoping to get a sale, trying to do the right things, look busy, use the right phrases. It was demoralizing to see all these amazingly gifted people practically begging to sell their exceptional artwork. That was me. And I was SOOO happy not to be one of them today.

On Friday I fired a commission for an event planner in California, and tomorrow I will unload the kiln and see how it turned out. I am happy with the results so far, as is the client. I'll ship it off this week.
Yesterday I dropped off some work to Robin Wood Flowers, and she has ordered more to keep up her stock. I was lucky to have some work on hand when she ran out. Good plan.

I have a new apprentice, Edan, starting on Thursday of this week. I am really excited about working wtih him, he has actually graduated from U. of MinnesOta, and is pursuing a career in pottery. I can't wait to get him started.

The other aspect of this is that I will now be working in the studio on a regular basis, Thursdays and Fridays. I had shut down the studio from February through April, and now I'll see what it feels like to put it back into use. This could be very energizing. I'll see how the body holds up to the work.

The bulk of my time is deveoping my new company that creates the materials for Small Group Book Studies, primarily for churches and non-profits. I have found that I have gift for asking questions. That is, in my mind, the best attribute of a teacher.

"Judge a man not by the answers he gives, but by the questions he asks." -Voltaire


No comments: